Computer threats are created by people. Hacker is a person who finds and exploits the weakness in computer systems / networks to gain access. Hackers are usually skilled computer programmers with knowledge of computer security.
What do they do?
- Hijack your usernames and passwords
- Scanning Vulnerability – they identify security weaknesses in a computer system. Essentially it’s a gateway to additional attacks.
- Credit Ruin – Monetary loss – request new account Personal Identification Numbers (PINs), making purchases and obtaining cash advances
- Leaking vital personal or business information
- Sell your information to parties who will use it for illegal purposes
Protection from hackers
- Use firewall and antivirus
- Regular update of your OS
- Don not open messages from unknown senders or click links in it.
- Evaluate free software and file-sharing applications
- Increase browser security settings and only download software from trusted sites.
- Backup all your data regularly