Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 & Above – Cross Reference – Setup Item References No for Customers and Vendors.
Target Audience: NAV User, Functional Consultant
Applied to Area: Sales Process and Purchase Process
Function: Associate customer or vendor item number with own internal item number
Description: It is common that our own Inventory Item-no will be different from our Customer-item-no or Vendor-item-no, likewise the item-description may also be different.
There are times, when we want to raise a PO to our vendor, we may have to use the vendor-item-no and likewise when we want to raise a Sales Quotation, we may have to use the customer-item-no.
There is a method in NAV where you can associate the vendor-item-no and customer-item-no to our own Inventory-item-no – this is done through the Item-Cross-Reference to “tag” our Inventory-item-no to the Vendor-item-no and Customer-item-no and associate item-description.
By doing so, we can raise PO and SQ using the vendor-item-no and customer-item-no together with their description.
Below are steps the on how to setup Cross-Reference for Item.
1) In the Item page, click Cross-References to enter setup page.
2) Cross-Reference setup page
i) Cross-Reference Type: Define Customer, Vendor or Bar Code
ii) Cross-Reference Type No: Select Customer No or Vendor No
iii) Cross-Reference No: This can be the same number as the item number or if that Customer or Vendor has a different reference. (Max 20 characters)
iv) Unit of Measure: This is the Unit of Measure that the customer buys of the item from customer or purchase from the vendor
v) Description: Enter the description of Item. This Cross Reference description will replace Item description in Sales Line or
Remark: Below example are using Sales Order due to above setup is using Customer. Cross-Reference are affect in all Sales Process and Purchase Process based on Item Card’s Cross-Reference setup.
- Create a Sales Order. – Input Customer and related information.
- In Sales Line, Cross-Reference have two function:- Enter Customer own Item code into Cross-Reference No field, and sales lines will auto capture NAV Item information
– Item’s Description replace by Cross-Reference’s Description.
- After posted to invoice, Posted Sales Invoice will capture Sales Line’s Description.